Some tips on dealing with customer service over the phone. The list below is a pretty good outline of how to proceed and you probably already use 4 to 5 of the techniques.
- Do a little homework. Find out what they’re offering new customers.
- Late night FM DJ voice. Speak in calm, measured tones and smile as you talk.
- Start with “I’m sorry.” It grabs their attention and empowers them.
- “This is going to sound harsh…” It sets them up for something big and makes whatever you say a relief.
- Turn a complaint call into an appreciation call. This is forced empathy. They’ll want to help you.
- A focused comparison with an open-ended question. And it’s probably going to bring your bill down a lot.