1. Collectivism on the Campus: The Battle for the Mind in American Colleges, E. Merrill Root.
2. The Nearly Free University and the Emerging Economy: The Revolution in Higher Education (2013), Charles Hugh Smith.
3. John Taylor Gattoarticles.
4. A Place Called School, John Goodlad, 2004.
5. Crisis in the Classroom, Charles E. Silberman, 1971.
6. Fred M. Hechinger, conservative educator, staunch supporter of public schools, points out that kids have been getting kicked out of school since the turn of the century.
7. John Holt books. Here is Holt’s Wikipedia page. Modern childhood was invented for the modern world.
8. How Children Learn (Classics in Child Development), John Holt, 2009.
9. Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book of Homeschooling, John Holt, 2099.
10. Learning All the Time, John Holt, 1990.
11. How Children Fail (Classics in Child Development), John Holt, 1995.
12. Instead of Education: Ways to Help People Do Things Better, John Holt, 2003.
13. Escape from Childhood: The Needs and Rights of Children, John Holt, 2013.
14. John Holt’s YouTube channel.
15. Freedom and Beyond, John Holt, 1972.
16. Is Public Education Necessary?, Samuel L. Blumenfeld, 1985.
17. Separating School & State: How to Liberate America’s Families, Sheldon Richman, 1994.
18. Marshall Fritz, chairman, founder, and former president of the Alliancefor the Separation of School and State.
The one important person I have not had the opportunity to chat with is the great John Taylor Gatto.
19. Why Johnny Can’t Read, Rudolph Flesch, 1955.
20. Worthless, Aaron Clarey, 2011.
21. The best description of what government money did to higher education is Robert Nisbet’s book, The Degradation of the Academic Dogma, 1971.
22. The Messianic Character of American Education, R.J. Rushdoony, his book of essays on the founders of American progressive education
23. Intellectual Schizophrenia, R. J. Rushdoony [his short book on education]
24. Lively Experiment: Shaping Christianity in America, Sidney Mead, 1963.
25. Capitalism and Freedom, Milton Friedman, 1961.
26. Passion Driven Education: How to Use Your Child’s Interests to Ignite a Lifelong Love in Learning, Connor Boyack, 2016.
The above video is an interview of John Holt. What is remarkable is that I’ve posted at least 3 other video interviews of his and each one the YouTube channel pulled it. Let’s see what happens with this one. I posted this one on 12/24/2016
Thanks to Charles Burris.
Guilt, Shame, & Understanding: Understanding and Overcoming Negative Emotions, Peter Breggin, 2014.