Ron Paul Curriculum Ad, written by Gary North.  He targets public school-issued textbooks. 

Teaching is simply sharing what you know.  And the best way to share what you know, the best way to capture an audience is through telling a story.  

1.  Wayne Alderson.
2.  Coping With Difficult Bosses, Robert Bramson, 1994.
3.  Fat-Free Meetings, Burt Albert, 1996.
4.  How to Manage Conflict, Career Press, 1993.
5.  Listen Up!  Jim Dugger, 1995.
6.  Managing Conflict at Work, Jim Murphy, 1994.
7.  The Dilbert Principle, Scott Adams, 1997.
8.  Why Didn’t You Say That in the First Place: How to Be Understood at Work, Richard Heyman, 1994.
9.  Improving Your Interpersonal Skills, Bob Bly.

Manage Conflicts.  Plus this.

1. Accept conflict. Remember that conflict is natural and happens in every ongoing relationship. …
2. Be a calming agent. …
3. Listen actively. …
4. Analyze the conflict. …
5. Model neutral language. …
6. Separate the person from the problem. …
7. Work together. …
8. Agree to disagree.

1.  Bob Bly, 1998.

On teaching abroad.  Not at my age but maybe for some other young teachers.

As a practical matter, I would highly recommend that you get either a Cambridge CELTA or a Trinity TESOL certificate. These are the two qualifications that nearly every school, visa agency, and government official with whom you interact will recognize as satisfying the Z-visa’s TEFL requirement.

Even though my job has nothing to do with ESL (I mainly teach math and test prep courses to native and near-native level expat children), every time that I renew my visa or change jobs, I am asked for my TEFL certificate. I don’t have one, and it is always a huge hassle to explain to visa agencies and government officials why it is not relevant to my position. I have actually been considering getting a CELTA just to make this process easier.

As far as getting jobs, there is still something of a gold-rush mentality in the Chinese ESL market, where many companies are more concerned about the quantity of teachers who can sell classes than they are about the quality of education. 90% of the time, employers primarily care about whether they can get you a visa, and after that whether you look the part for the position that they are trying to fill (unfortunately, when it comes to hiring decisions, there is still a great deal of overt racism, ageism, sexism, and discrimination based on nationality here). With that said, if by “U.S. state-issued credential,” you mean that you have a valid teaching license that allows you to teach ESL in public schools in your state of residence, better employers will respect your education, and it may lead to opportunities that wouldn’t be available with a TEFL certificate alone.

Get a CELTA or Trinity TESOL; your life will be harder without them. Anything else is just a bonus.


There’s a world of difference between a state-issued teaching credential and a lowly TESOL certificate.

With a teaching credential, you can get a job at an international school or a private school, teaching English or possibly other subjects. With experience, your salary might eventually be double (or more) what you can get with just a TESOL.

The TESOL can get you in the door at an English training center, and with experience, you’d have a shot at teaching English at a public or maybe even private school, although not at an international school. You can make a fairly decent salary with a TESOL, which I’ve been doing for more than 5 years now, but it pales in comparison to what you can make with a teaching credential.

In short, get the teaching credential.

1. Find a California teacher or Administrator.

Start with the right equipment.  Posted Monday, July 20, 2020.